Apple TV+ is an Apple service that allows you to stream, download, buy and even rent movies and shows. Moreover, these are available in a fairly high quality. But, a drawback of this 4K quality is that it needs more bandwidth than the others and that results in high data usage if streaming on your iPad or iPhone using cellular data which results in heavy charges.
For an idea of the video quality provided by Apple TV+, most of its originals stream at a heavy bit rate, nearly 40-45 MB/s as the peak and about 30MB/s as the video bit rate. Considering the data value, it uses nearly 1.92 GB of your data every hour at “Best Quality”, which would be pretty costly using the cellular data of your given Apple device.
Now as a solution to this, we can simply lower the streaming quality. By doing this, we can save enormous amounts of data. Now, streaming at “Good” video quality would use nearly 764 MB of your data every hour. Which would mean that it saves nearly 1.17 GB of data every hour. This is a considerable amount of data and that’s why, it’s highly useful to lower the streaming quality while using a cellular data plan.
How To Change Streaming Quality
- Go to settings of the Apple TV app.
- Select “Apps”, and then go to “iTunes Movies and TV Shows” to carry out any of the following tasks:
- Toggle Quick Start: Initially, the video quality of the played video will be the best available quality but this can be turned off quite easily. Note: turning off quick start will automatically disable Dolby Atmos and 4K streaming as well.
- Alternating the video resolution for rentals or purchases: The highest quality of iTunes videos are purchased, rented and streamed by default, which in turn needs a fairly strong Internet connection. When you have a weak connection, you can go to Video Resolution and select “Good” quality.
- Classifying the movies on Wish List: You can select the format of the list of movies and shows provided to you By Date to identify the newly added shows or movies or in an alphabetical manner to arrange the movies and shows alphabetically.
- Sort TV Shows in Favorites: Even in your favorites’ folder, you can arrange everything according to your own wishes. Like arranging them alphabetically to show the existing movies and shows in an alphabetical form or arranging them by date to see which ones are latest.
- Purchases and rentals can be limited to standard definition: When you have to use a slow internet connection or need to save data, you can switch to this option so that the movies or shows you rent or purchase are added in standard definition which will evidently use less data.
I hope I could address all your queries and you can easily adjust the streaming quality of your given video. If you have any further doubts, you can visit support.apple.com or you may leave a comment below. Also, please leave a like on the content if it was helpful.